Friday, April 18, 2008

Wedding Sari blues

"There are only four types of saris. The cream ones, the blue ones, the green ones, and the maroon ones." said my friend Sethu, circa 2002. I'm in total agreement with him. I am still clueless when my mom gets confused over buying one from two saris, both of which look the same to me!

With the wedding preparations getting into the groove, I am being bombarded with questions about the sari for the bride. One conversation with my cousin (sister) went on like this: -

Chechi [elder sister]: Have you bought the sari?
Me: Yes, mom said she bought it in Trivandrum
Chechi: What's the colour?
Me: athu onnum ennikku arinjooda chechi, ammede aduthu chodikkanam [I dont know all that, must ask mom]
Chechi: So you didn't get to see the sari?
Me: No, it was bought after I left Trivandrum last. Anyway, as far as men are concerned, all saris are the same
Chechi: That's not true. If you see a beautiful lady in sari, wouldn't you turn your head?
Me: That has got nothing to do with the colour of the sari.
Chechi: It has.
Me: No, it is just what's inside the saris that make us turn our heads!
Chechi: njan ariyathe paranjatha, ini avarthikkilla [I asked unknowingly, please forgive me, I wouldn't repeat this!]
Poor Chechi. Her impression about me as the studious quiet guy would have been shattered. There was more fun due for me. The same evening I chatted with one of my female friends. It also went on similar lines: -
Friend: Amma said ur mom said saree edukan povukayanennu, edutho? [my mom said your mom is going to buy wedding saris, did you guys buy?]
Me: eduthu. [Yes, bought]
Friend: what colour
Me: what color? how dare u ask me such a question?
me: u definitely are bringing shame to our years old friedship
Friend: poda, tell me...
me: i dont know!!
Friend: don't tell me u didnt ask
me: amma bought sari yesterday. Her family bought a violet one, so this one is probably not violet
Friend: :)), poda, u didn't ask alle[right]? koranaga [monkey]
Me: how come it took u so long to realize?

7 comments:

  1. knowing you, i would have been shocked only if u had correctly remembered the colour of the sari..:)
    i am waiting to hear rejitha's opinion....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. knowing you, i would have been shocked only if u had correctly remembered the colour of the sari..:)
    i am waiting to hear rejitha's opinion....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! That was funny! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few saris can be vigorously definite with a considerable measure of semi-valuable stones and zardosi work or mirror chip away at the texture. silk sarees from kanjiivaram silks

    ReplyDelete
  5. This light-hearted conversation about kanchipuram silk sarees seemed as if I'm reading a fictional story.

    ReplyDelete